With the public preview of Azure Data Lake Analytics and U-SQL scripting language becoming available, doing big data processing has become simpler and less daunting for the non-hadooper. Besides the simplicity, the ability to query external data sources such as Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse and SQL running on Azure VM, from within a U-SQL script, creates a very compelling case to jump on board. The focus of this post is my experience with getting that external connection up and running with Azure SQL Database serving as my external source.
- You will need an Azure Subscription. Free Trial
- Visual Studio. Visual Studio Community 2015
- Azure Data Lake Tools for Visual Studio
- Azure SQL Database
- (ADLS)Azure Data Lake Store (May take some time to be accepted into preview.)
- (ADLA)Azure Data Lake Analytics (May take some time to be accepted into preview.)